Blackwood is a quaint village set in the Wombat state Forest overlooking the Lederderg River and about 89km west of Melbourne.
The township was founded in 1855 during the Victorian Gold Rush and at one stage had a population of around 13,000 prospectors. The Post Office opened on 22 September 1855 and was known as Mount Blackwood until 1921.
Blackwood has become an ideal weekend location with many remnants of the gold era, historic buildings, hotel, cafés, a pub, a caravan park, walking trails, and trout fishing in the Lerderderg river.
The town is only one and a half hours from Melbourne.